* An Associate of Science degree is considered a terminal degree. The decision on course transferability rests with the receiving institution.
NYUSs Associate of Science degree in Sports Medicine and Fitness Technology focuses on entry-level health and fitness assessment, prescription and lifestyle modification. The program provides a basic understanding of health risk factors, physiological adaptations to exercise, injury prevention, care and therapies and addresses all components of activity as related to sports and exercise.
The following objectives are designed to meet NYUS’s mission and its objectives:
- To develop a student’s ability to apply health and fitness assessments in the development, monitoring and motivation of individuals with exercise prescriptions.
- To prepare students to properly conduct and monitor exercise sessions.
- To assist students in understanding health risk factors, physiological adaptations to exercise and psychological factors associated with fitness and exercise programs.
- To assist students in understanding and applying basic biomechanical principles.
Prerequisites for Major Courses
At a minimum, students must successfully complete the following two general education courses before beginning major coursework. A “C” or greater must be awarded in both for continuance into the core curriculum.
- Human Anatomy and Physiology I
- Human Anatomy and Physiology II
To receive an Associate of Science in Sports Medicine and Fitness Technology, students must earn 66.0 credit hours. Program requirements are as follows:
|Sports Medicine and Fitness Technology Major Courses ( 40.0 credit hours )|
|Health Appraisal and Wellness||4.0 credit hours|
|Exercise Leadership||4.0 credit hours|
|Nutrition and Weight Management||4.0 credit hours|
|Principles of Health and Fitness||4.0 credit hours|
|Sports Medicine and First Aid||4.0 credit hours|
|Sports Psychology||4.0 credit hours|
|Exercise Physiology||4.0 credit hours|
|Sports Administration and Law||4.0 credit hours|
|Sports Medicine and Fitness Technology Externship||8.0 credit hours|
General Education Courses ( 26.0 credit hours )
Note: To view the PDF file linked above you will need to have Adobe Reader. To download a free copy of this software click here or go to the Adobe website at www.NYUS.US